How to Make Botox Last LongerMedical Aesthetics
Botox is one of the oldest and most popular FDA-approved wrinkle reducers that works by paralyzing nerves responsible for contracting facial muscles. Botox injections can smooth away your wrinkles and fine lines for about three to four months before you need to revisit your doctor for more injections*. However, you may be able to extend the effects of Botox by following one or more of these suggestions.
5 Ways to Make Botox Last Longer
- Try to get your Botox injections as regularly as possible to weaken your facial muscles. The weaker your muscle nerves become, the longer Botox effects will last. If you get Botox injections only once a year or less, you are giving your muscles a chance to rebound and strengthen. Consequently, irregular injections will only keep the wrinkles at bay for about four months*.
- Of course, everyone knows that spending a lot of time in the sun causes premature wrinkling and raises your risk of skin cancer. Avoiding sunlight is also highly advisable on the day you are supposed to get Botox injections. UV radiation stimulates blood circulation, causes dilation of blood vessels and may disperse Botox more quickly upon injection under your skin. This rapid dispersion doesn’t give Botox enough time to work as well as it should to freeze contractions and smooth away wrinkles.
- Taking a Botox-boosting zinc supplement may help suppress wrinkling and fine lines longer than four or five months, according to research. A combination of zinc and an enzyme called phytase appears to reduce the time it takes for the body to break down zinc. This is important because zinc behaves similar to a neurotoxin — which is what Botox is — thus giving your Botox injections a big boost. So, yes, there is something to the potential for Botox and zinc to lengthen the time between Botox injections.
- Don’t worry about every little line and wrinkle you think you see emerging on your face. Inspecting yourself in the mirror every hour of the day and obsessing over minor skin imperfections means you’re probably frowning, furrowing your brow and forcing facial muscles to work overtime. This just makes the smallest wrinkles and lines even more noticeable to your critical eye. So stop!
- Make sure the doctor giving you Botox injections is qualified, experienced and licensed to provide Botox. Where Botox is injected, how much needs to be injected and how often it should be given is vital to its effectiveness and to the safety of the patient. In addition, a reputable doctor knows exactly how to reconstitute Botox as directed to ensure you receive its full benefits for as long as possible. Unfortunately, unethical and unqualified doctors have been caught over-diluting Botox but charging patients the same price as a regular-strength Botox injection.
Cosmetic Aesthetic Services at Synergy Wellness Center
We provide a wide variety of cosmetic treatments that can return a youthful radiance to your appearance. In addition to Botox, Synergy provides facial filler injections, Fractora and Forma to smooth, tighten and rejuvenate aging skin. Contact us today to learn more about our noninvasive cosmetic procedures.