BOTOX® for Men: The Ultimate Guide to BrotoxMedical Aesthetics
The weather in California is one of the reasons why outdoor enthusiasts love the state so much. Endless sunshine and comfortable temperature all year long make California an ideal place to enjoy a wealth of recreational activities.
However, despite how stellar the weather may be, it can also be a serious drawback. Excessive exposure to sun and wind can lead to wrinkles, making you look older than you are.
Fortunately, there is a way you can reverse the damaging effects the California’s environment can have on your skin. How? With BOTOX®.
If you think BOTOX® Cosmetic is something only women use, think again. In 2016, nearly 450,000 men underwent this minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
If you want to turn back the hands of time and regain your youthful appearance, brotox for men could be the solution you’re seeking. It just might offer you that proverbial “fountain of youth.”
What is Brotox?
A trending word that’s all the buzz these days, “brotox” refers to BOTOX® for men. For years, men and women assumed this cosmetic treatment was only for females who want to erase the effects of time. However, it’s not only for women.
Men of all ages have taken notice of the dramatic effects BOTOX® cosmetic treatments can offer. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons reported that between 2000 and 2016, there was a 376 percent increase in male BOTOX® procedures. That’s a staggering statistic.
So, what exactly is brotox? Here’s an introduction to this commonly sought after and frequently used cosmetic procedure.
BOTOX® for Men Defined
Cosmetic BOTOX®, the trade name for onabotulinumtoxinA, is a toxin created by Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium that causes botulism or food poisoning. In severe cases, botulism can cause paralysis. However, scientists have figured out a way to use this side effect to an advantage. In small, diluted amounts, it can be injected directly into a muscle, thereby relaxing the muscle.
In the latter part of the 1980s, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of BOTOX®, which is made and marketed by Allergan Inc., to treat two different muscle disorders that affect the eye — blepharospasm, or uncontrolled blinking, and strabismus, also known as lazy eye.
In 2002, the FDA approved the use of onabotulinumtoxinA to treat fine lines and wrinkles.
How Does Brotox for Men Work?
Your healthcare provider injects BOTOX® underneath your skin, directly into the muscles that cause forehead lines, frown lines and crow’s feet. Though your aesthetic physician administers it in small amounts, it has a profound impact on these muscles, literally paralyzing them, thereby reducing their movement. BOTOX® relaxes your muscles and diminishes the appearance of those fine lines and wrinkles.
The procedure itself is quick and relatively painless. It takes just a few minutes, and no anesthesia is required. You won’t notice the effects immediately, but typically, within about 24 to 48 hours, you’ll begin to see a reduction in the appearance of wrinkles and lines. You notice the smoothing effect for up to four months.
Top Four Reasons Men Are Considering Brotox
Why get BOTOX® for men? There are several reasons why brotox is becoming one of the most popular wrinkle treatments for men. Here’s a look at the top four reasons why men are turning to this cosmetic procedure in leaps and bounds.
- Restores youthfulness: Women aren’t the only ones who feel pressure to look younger — men face the same challenge. More and more men are concerned about how the effects of aging affect their lives. Like women, men worry that crow’s feet and frown lines will have an impact on their overall looks, making them less attractive, and possibly even their ability to attain or hold onto employment. Unfortunately, while it may seem superficial, society as a whole focuses on appearances. Though two men who are the same age may apply for the same exact position, should one appear older than the other, the younger looking male may be selected for a position, simply because he looks — well, younger. A more youthful appearance indicates greater longevity, something companies take into consideration when interviewing prospective employees.
- Combats excessive sweating: Medically known as hyperhidrosis, this condition causes a person to sweat when there isn’t need to, such as sweating to regulate body temperature and avoid overheating. Those who are afflicted with hyperhidrosis sweat when there isn’t a need for temperature regulation. Extreme perspiration can be embarrassing. The FDA approved the use of BOTOX® as a way to treat severe hyperhidrosis in 2004. BOTOX® turns off the chemical that turns on the sweat glands. Brotox can be injected into the underarms, forehead, back of the neck and even the hands and feet to block the discharge of sweat.
- Reduces and relaxes enlarged prostate: Men with an enlarged prostate are also turning to BOTOX®. Some studies show onabotulinumtoxinA seemingly helps to avert the abundant growth of prostate cells, as well as reduce and relax the muscles in this gland.
- Treats migraines: In 2010, the FDA approved the use of BOTOX® cosmetic injections in males who are 18 years of age and older for the treatment of chronic migraine headaches, which are migraines that last for 15 days or longer. This form of botulinum toxin is injected near the nerve endings causing these severe and persistent headaches, thus blocking the chemicals transmitting pain. BOTOX® does not offer immediate relief for migraines — two to three treatments are necessary to experience the benefits BOTOX® provides for this ailment.
Pros and Cons of Brotox Procedures
Is BOTOX® for men worth it? To determine if this cosmetic procedure is worth your while, you need to understand the pros and cons.
Pros of Botox for Men
Why get BOTOX® for men? Some of the most notable reasons include:
- It’s temporary: If you get one treatment and decide you don’t like it, you can easily discontinue future sessions. BOTOX® won’t permanently change your skin. Once the neurotoxic protein has worn off, your skin will return to its original appearance.
- It’s a fast procedure: From start to finish, it only takes a matter of minutes for an aesthetic physician to provide you with a brotox treatment. In fact, you could easily have it done on your lunch break from work.
- It provides an improved appearance: Without a doubt, one of the biggest benefits of BOTOX® cosmetic treatments is it can enhance your appearance. Highly regarded for its ability to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, brotox can effectively make you look years younger when administered correctly.
- It’s not just cosmetic: As stated above, onabotulinumtoxinA is not only used to improve the appearance of the skin. It’s also used to treat excessive sweating, severe migraines, as well as to correct uncontrollable blinking and lazy eye.
- It’s minimally invasive: Brotox is one of the least invasive cosmetic procedures — as compared to a facelift, for example. There is no need to undergo anesthesia, as you would have to have with a more all-encompassing, invasive treatment.
Cons of Botox for Men
BOTOX® injections for men have some associated adverse effects. Here’s a look at some of the potential downsides:
- It’s short-term: This is as much a con as it is a pro. Since the treatments won’t permanently alter your appearance, if you find you like the results, you’ll have to have injections again shortly. BOTOX® cosmetic only lasts up to four months.
- It can cause pain: Brotox injections can be painful. Aestheticians use fine needles to administer treatments, which some patients may find uncomfortable. Most patients, however, find they experience mild discomfort during the injections.
- It can cause bruising: There is a chance of bruising around the injection site. Typically, bruises last only a few days.
- It can lead to difficulty speaking, swallowing or breathing: Though these risks are minimal, there is a chance you may develop issues with speaking, swallowing and breathing because BOTOX® relaxes the muscles around the injection site. The risks of these side effects are highest if you have a pre-existing condition, as onabotulinumtoxinA may compound your ailment.
- It can bring on vision or eye problems: These could include dry eyes, blurred vision, or double vision.
- It can lead to a tolerance buildup: Since BOTOX® is not permanent, there is a risk of developing a tolerance, which could render future injections ineffective. Should this happen, your aesthetic physician can increase your dosage of onabotulinumtoxinA.
Other possible side effects include allergic reactions, dry mouth, headache, tiredness and neck pain. With an experienced doctor, these side effects are very uncommon.
Individual results vary — while some men may experience one or more of the above side effects, others may not experience any.
How Long Brotox Lasts
The effects of BOTOX® cosmetic injections are not lasting. In clinical trials, the results have been found to last for as long as four months for those who have moderate to severe wrinkles. However, on average, they can be effective for anywhere from three to six months. Eventually, muscle action starts to return, and with it, so will the reappearance of your wrinkles and lines.
Again, individual results will vary. The exact duration of results is dependent on a variety of factors, including:
- Treatment area
- Patient anatomy
The results tend to wear off more quickly for first-time users. However, as the effects wear off, lines and wrinkles may appear less visible because BOTOX® shrinks the muscles surrounding them.
Factors to Consider If Brotox Is Right for You
Brotox is one of the most popular wrinkle treatments for men. Whether you’re interested in reducing the appearance of fine, moderate or severe fine lines and wrinkles, or you would like to take advantage of other benefits BOTOX® offers, such as relieving excessive sweating or migraines, you should first determine if this treatment is the right option for you. Here are some factors to consider:
- Do you want fast results? While the outcomes of BOTOX® injections are relatively quick, they do take some time. On average, it takes anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to see the effects. Therefore, if you are seeking instant results, onabotulinumtoxinA may not be the right choice for you. However, if your goal is to minimize wrinkles and lines, few products offer results as quickly as BOTOX® Cosmetic.
- What type wrinkles and lines are you treating? Though the reduction of lines and wrinkles is one of the most common reasons men are using brotox, be aware it may not be as effective on some lines and wrinkles as it is on others. Brotox is most effective on wrinkles and lines that are the result of long-term muscle use. It is not as effective on wrinkles and lines that are the result of sun exposure or gravity. The location of the affected area can also impact the results. Also, BOTOX® for crow’s feet, those wrinkles around the eyes, tend to not last as long as brotox for frown or forehead lines — those lines between the eyebrows or on the forehead. Results may also not be as drastic on deeper wrinkles as they are on those that are smaller, less severe and on the surface.
- How is your health? While BOTOX® is widely considered safe, physicians advise certain patients to avoid this cosmetic treatment. You should not use brotox if you have a neurological disease, such as a neuromuscular disorder or multiple sclerosis. If you are allergic to albumin, you will not be able to receive injections of onabotulinumtoxinA. Make sure you fully disclose all medical information with your cosmetic surgeon so you and your physician can ensure the procedure is safe for you.
- Do the benefits outweigh the risk factors? While you may not experience any side effects, it’s important to keep them in mind when deciding if BOTOX® is right for you. The risk factors include bruising, pain, and difficulty with speaking, breathing or swallowing. However, in most cases, minimal side effects subside within a few days. Additionally, medical professionals are available to assist with any more severe issues that may arise.
- Are you looking for treatment for a special occasion? If you have a big event coming up, such as a wedding, once-in-a-lifetime vacation or a reunion, you’ll want to time your BOTOX® Cosmetic appointment carefully. You’ll want any swelling, bruising or redness from the injection to have faded, while the results of the treatment are still in full effect.
- Are you committed to upkeep? The effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic injections are not permanent. Though results can last for up to a quarter of a year, and fine lines and wrinkles may be less noticeable even after brotox wears off, if you want to continue experiencing the effects, you’ll likely need to receive additional treatments in the future. Consider whether or not you’re committed to the upkeep before you decide to move forward with BOTOX®.
It’s in your best interest to thoroughly discuss your concerns, as well as the risks and benefits of brotox with a licensed and experienced cosmetic doctor. Together, you can decide if this treatment is suitable for you.
Brotox for Men: What to Expect and How It Is Done
If you have never had a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment before, you may be feeling a little nervous. Knowing what to expect and how your aesthetic physician performs the procedure can help alleviate your worries.
Though every person’s experience will be different, here’s a general look at what you can expect at your first brotox treatment.
- Forms and medical history: Upon arriving at a BOTOX® clinic for men, you’ll be asked to fill out the necessary paperwork. Usually, this will include insurance information and questions related to your medical history, as what areas you want to have treated and what type of results you’re expecting.
- Wait period: Like any doctor’s office, don’t be surprised if you have to wait to see the doctor. Be patient. It takes time to administer brotox injections, and other patients will receive the same treatment you’re having. A high-quality office will offer a comfortable environment for you to wait in.
- During: Your aesthetic physician uses a fine needle to inject small amounts of onabotulinumtoxinA underneath the skin. The number of injections needed depends on several factors, such as the reason for treatment and area. On average, the treatment takes about 10 minutes.
- After: You should expect to return to your usual routine immediately after the procedure, as there is no recovery time. However, your doctor will advise you to avoid rubbing the treated areas, since doing so may cause the BOTOX® to spread out.
Tips for Choosing the Right Aesthetic Physician for BOTOX® in Bakersfield, California
You want to choose someone you can count on to deliver outstanding results when getting brotox treatments in the Bakersfield, California area. Rather than having a nurse inject you with BOTOX®, find a skilled physician with a lot of experience who has a proven track record of delivering positive results.
Unlike other places that offer Botox®, at Synergy Wellness, Dr. Jan Trobisch administers all BOTOX® cosmetic procedures. Dr. Trobisch is a medical doctor with many years of training and experience in cosmetic treatments. As a result, you can feel confident about your comfort and safety, while getting the best results and feeling great about your appearance.
Because correctly placing BOTOX® takes skill, select a physician who provides BOTOX® treatments successfully, safely and regularly.
Before choosing a doctor, schedule a consultation. During your initial meeting, ask questions regarding the professional’s credentials and discuss any concerns you may have, such as possible side effects, the results you can expect and how long they will last.
If you’re looking for the most effective, safest results, and the most pleasant male BOTOX® experience in Bakersfield, California, look no further than Dr. Jan Trobisch. Contact us here at Synergy Wellness today to schedule a consultation and find out how brotox can benefit you.